Monday, March 1, 2010

An Nhau - Visited 2/26/10 - 3 Forks

An Nhau 172 Bedford Ave(between 8th St & 7th St)


Dan and I had originally wanted to eat at Blue Ribbon in Brooklyn Bowl but when we got there, they wanted to charge us a $5 cover just to get in. I was so pissed about that. I understand charging a cover for the venue when there is a band but just to eat at the restaurant?! Definitely not.

So we started walk around Bedford Ave. to find a new place to eat. This was one of the first places that we stumbled upon. It didn't look like much on the outside and we initally thought the prices were a bit high, but decided to give it a try. The inside was actually really nice. The best part was the outside was covered and insulated and decorated like cabanas. The menu consisted of a variety vietnamese food from pho, bun, and other dishes. It was definitely "fancy" asian food and not the typical dive-y asian place that I'm used to in Chinatown.

I wanted to get pho but was a bit hesitant since the place seemed too "nice". So Dan and I split a baby pho ($4), and I got an iced coffee ($3.50) and the braised pork belly with egg ($11). Dan got the vietnamese beef stew ($12) and a Saigon beer. The baby pho was indeed baby. Very small but surprisingly good tasting. The soup was spicy and flavorful and the beef was tender and thin. I would definitely consider getting a larger one in the future. My pork belly dish came out and my goodness, there were 2 enormous pieces of cook pork belly and a hard boiled egg. It came with a side of white rice and dan's stew came with a soft baguette. The food was surprising good! I'm usually wary of fancy asian places especially on Bedford Ave. The meat of the pork belly fell off easily and tender. I regret eating the actual fat of the pork belly since that really put me over the edge and made me really full. I wasn't even able to finish the last piece. I will say that I prefer my pork belly bbq'd like at Fette Sau but this was completely an acceptable substitute.

No comments: