Monday, March 1, 2010

Yamato Visited 2/28/10 - 3.5 Forks

Yamato 168 7th Ave (between 2nd Ave & Garfield Pl)
Yamato has always been one of my go-to sushi places in Park Slope. I have been going to this place for over 5 years and never had a bad meal. They have a fantastic line-up of creative rolls and appetizers and salads. The only reason I had stop going was because they didn't take AmEx and there were other places in the 'hood that did.

But I thought it had been too long since I hadn't been and decided to re-visit it. They had re-done the inside decor of the place and although it's definitely sleeker and sexier, but it's a bit too dark. I can't tell if the menu had changed or if it had been too long since I had been there. Dan and I got a large hot sake ($9), split the spicy dinner roll ($13) and a white river roll ($11) - which was a spicy scallop roll with white tuna on top. In the past I had gotten and loved the American Dream roll, Valentine roll, crazy roll and Green River roll. They are all amazing. One of my main complaints, though, is that the rolls are a bit too big. When our food came out, it looked like it was enough for 4 people instead of 2. The spicy roll dinner consisted of spicy tuna, salmon, and yellowtail. I could tell the difference between the tuna and salmon, but if I hadn't read that the 3rd roll was yellowtail, I wouldn't have been able to tell. We were so full at the end that we could barely finish our meal, which is a first for us when we eat sushi. While I don't think this is "classical" sushi in the sense that the pieces are too big and the spicy part of the roll is chopped up as opposed to chucks with mayo sauce, but I still love this place.

No comments: