Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Choshi Visited 9/22/2013 3 Forks

Choshi  77 Irving Pl, (between 19th St & 18th St), New YorkNY 10003 



I usually end up at Choshi when my favorite sushi place in Union Square, Yama, has too long of a line or in this past Sunday's case, is closed.  Choshi is similar to one of those typical standard sushi places that I used to go to in Park Slope.  It's definitely not going to offer the top quality sushi you would find at a Sushi of Gari or Ushiwaka Maru but it's gets the job done if you just have a hankering for some decent quality sushi that isn't deli sushi.

I stopped by on a beautiful Sunday afternoon after spending the weekend in the Hamptons and I just had a strong craving for a few spicy rolls.  Sadly, Yama was closed and this place is only 2 blocks away and was open.  Given the lack of people who want to have sushi at 1pm on a Sunday, I was surprised that even they were open for business.  Meanwhile, next door, Friend of a Farmer had a line down the block.  I guess it's no surprise that most people go for the eggs/brunchy thing on a Sunday.  There was one other guy who was eating alone at Choshi, so I didn't feel too weird eating by myself there.  As I mentioned the menu is your standard neighborhood sushi joint: the usual suspect of appetizers and sushi/roll/sashimi combos.  While I do love treating myself to a high end sushi dinner every now and then, sometimes I just want a good spicy roll combo and luckily they had one here for $17.   You get your choice of 3 different spicy rolls and either a soup or salad - a pretty good deal.  What I do like about this place is that they have a whole entire section dedicated to spicy rolls and for the combo you can choose from any of them at the same price, even the spicy scallop roll!  I got the spicy salmon, yellowtail and scallop roll with the salad.  I usually love a good green salad with ginger carrot dressing but I didn't find the ginger dressing here very good.  It was too water-y and was kind of heavy on the pepper.  The sushi rolls themselves were totally fine and hit the spot.  The yellowtail and salmon roll had red pepper and mayo to make the spice and the scallop roll had spicy fish roe for spice.  They were all pretty typical rolls, although at 3 rolls, I was starting to get a bit full on all the rice and it would have been great to have had one of them been an inside out roll to minimize rice intake.

All in all, I wasn't blown away by the sushi here but I wasn't expecting that here anyways.  It fit a craving and that was good enough for me.  But as long as Yama is open, it's still going to be a back-up option and not the star attraction.  Total bill:  $21 with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: