Friday, January 1, 2016

Slash Run Visited 12/26/2016 3.5 Forks

Slash Run 201 Upshur St NWWashington, DC 20011



I have always been a huge fan of solid burger joints especially ones that have a heavy metal theme to it (i.e. Kuma's Corner in Chicago).  I was home for the holidays and got to catch up with some long time friends from elementary-high school and we ended up at Slash Run since it was near my friend Martha's place.  Given that it was the day after Christmas, it was pretty quiet and low key but that was great because that's exactly what we wanted.  This place is a true local joint as judged by many patrons wearing Redskins jersey since the big game was on that night - even better! 

The decor is kitschy, rock n roll and comforting all at once.  The menu centers around bar food and lots of local beers on tap.  We got the fontina artichoke dip ($9) to start while we mulled over our burger choices.  They have a nice variety of burgers that range from basic (simple bacon cheese burger) to the random (one with pineapple relish and pork rinds).  I was torn but opted to get the Le Petite Mort ($11.95) which was a burger with blue cheese crumble, garlic aioli, arugula, and mushrooms sautéed in red wine.  Did I mention that all the burgers came with waffle fries - yum! The fontina dip was what you expected of an artichoke dip - gooey and cheesy.  Next came the burgers - they were a very generous portion and mine was cooked medium rare with a bit more emphasis on the medium but it wasn't so brown that I felt like I had to send it back.  I enjoyed the combination of the blue cheese and mushroom - in fact, I was actually a bit disappointed that there wasn't more toppings to the burger, although that's probably slightly healthier for me.  The patty was juicy and moist but it didn't necessarily have me wanting to drool over it like I did at Black Tap but if I lived nearby I can see why it would be a cool neighborhood joint to relax and chill out.  The waffle fries were a pleasant addition - other than steak fries, I am a total sucker for waffle fries and these were nice and crisp and really paired well with the burger and beer I had. 

Overall, the Slash Run is a nice rock n roll local joint that's unpretentious and chill.   It seems like a good Sunday Funday kind of place to go and have a few beers with friends.  While the food itself is basically bar food, I give them props for trying to be creative with it - especially in a up and coming part of DC (there's an artisanal pickle shop coming soon!).  The service was a bit slow despite it being not crowded at all but I guess, who really wants to work on the Saturday after Christmas anyways?  Total bill:  $36/pp with tax, tip and drinks

Photo Credit:  The Washtingtonian 

No comments: